Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Christmas in March......

I love books. I love the smell of books. The feel of books. Turning the stiff new pages of the books. I can't get enough of BOOKS! Especially new ones. Bookstores make me giddy. Its no surprise that I have several bookshelves filled with books and some in the garage too....

And may even be adding a small bookshelf to the kitchen to catch all the overflow of the books from my other rooms...

As far back as I can remember, books have always been my thing. I was never super smart or nerdy... but I loved getting lost in the world of my books.

Im also a hater of change, which is why I have been unable to handle or accept switching over to online reading devices....

although, they are lovely little pieces of modern machinery... I just can't even think of not turning the literal PAGE of a book...

I know, I have to get with the times... but did I mention how long it took me to drop the 35 mm film??

Yeah, That's a whole OTHER blog post.


So, its no surprise that I passed my love of books onto my children. My oldest is very overprotective of her books. NO creasing the binding. NO bent corners and dont EVER...E-V-E-R borrow a book and return it in less shape....

Oh my word...





Last week, I placed a very large homeschooling book order AND Scholastic book order online and havent slept a wink since...

Ok, maybe a few winks but i can assure you that my new books consumed my thoughts.

Is that wrong? Don't judge k?

I tracked and tracked until the shipment day arrived....

And when they showed up on my lil front porch...

* OH GLORY *

New math books and writing books. Sight word Bingo and rhyming books...



ALL FOR ME!!!! MY KIDS!!

It was like Christmas in March!

My kids were super excited as well.... (until i open the books to begin school.)

I Also wanted to share with you some of my FAVORITE homeschooling treasures.



For Math we use HORIZONS Math. I have a K5 a 1st grader and a 3rd grader I'm using them for. I just adore the bright colors, the easy learning style and repetitive practice. New concepts don't overwhelm them and they quickly move onto something else to give them a break... but each concept is re-visited in other lessons to re-enforce learning. These books ALWAYS grace my school table



Another book I love is The " Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons." I have taught Molly how to read with this book, as well as Noah and I'm going through it with my Kindergartener right now. I pair this book up with the EXPLODE THE CODE series... ( once they get past lesson 20.) and they really take off with spelling and reading sight words. The funny sentences and pictures in the Explode the Code books really keeps them laughing....



We just started the Draw Right Now series. We will incorporate a bit of art with copywriting. Practicing penmanship is important, even in a computer dominated world. I don't focus on the Art aspect as they take creative art classes in their co-op and have for the last 2 years. But its fun to see them creat and learn at the same time. But the Draw Right Now series teaches them how to draw the picture correctly step by step. We are starting with Book 1 and might even continue with this thru the summer....

The kids take science in their co-op but we also do a bit at home as well. I use Alpha-Omega Life-packs Third Grade... enough to stimulate my 3rd grader but the 1st and k can still follow and learn as well. We just finished a series on the Body and yesterday we started Plants!! Its perfect since we are growing our own vegetable garden and they will be tending to it all spring and summer long. Yesterday we pulled up roots from the ground and placed them under the microscope to study them. We drew what we saw and We learned the uses for them and why they are important to the life of a plant. The experiments are easy to follow and we have most of the materials needed...



But those are my favorite books that we use. We have others that we use for Language arts and various books we read from for History, but they are not on my favorite list YET!! Im still nailing Down the PERFECT books for them...

What are your favorites? I love to discuss what other homeschoolers use and why.... helps me see things differently and explore ALL options...

XoXo,

GiGi



1 comment:

  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails